Applying to Swedish Family Medicine Residency
General Requirements for the Selection of Residents:
Applications to Swedish Family Medicine Residency must be submitted through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). Paper applications and/or CVs will not be accepted.
Swedish Family Medicine Residency does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, creed, religion, sexual orientation or veteran status in admission and access to, and treatment and employment in, its educational program and activities.
Applications will be reviewed on a first-come-first-serve basis and interviews scheduled accordingly. We will create a wait list for those individuals who are interested in interviewing at our program but did not have a date that worked with their schedule or all interview slots have filled.
Travel costs increase significantly around the holidays; please keep this in mind when scheduling your interview.
General Requirements for the Selection of Residents
- Must have graduated from medical school within the last 3 years.
- Must have passed USMLE Step I or COMLEX Level 1.
- Minimum score on USMLE Step I 200 and Step II 210 are preferred and COMLEX scores at or above 500 are preferred
- To be considered by our program, we must receive all three parts of the USMLE or Comlex by January 1, 2017. Scores can take up to eight weeks to be reported – please plan accordingly.
- Must be eligible to apply for and receive a full, unrestricted Colorado Medical License at the beginning of your second year of training. The Colorado Board of Medical Examiners requires one year of postgraduate US education for US and Canadian graduates and three years of postgraduate US education for international graduates before licensure may be granted. If you have questions regarding Colorado’s licensing requirements, please contact the Board of Medical Examiners at 303/ 894-7690
- Must submit three letters of recommendation with a minimum of one letter of recommendation from a U.S. physician who has supervised the applicant clinically.
- Must have excellent communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Must have a strong desire to be an outstanding family physician.
Note to Foreign/International Graduates: A resident in our program must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident, refugee, asylee, or possess the appropriate documentation to allow resident to legally train at the University of Colorado School of Medicine. Please see the University of Colorado Denver School of Medicine’s Graduate Medical Education website for details on visas
Incomplete applications will delay the application process. APPLICATIONS ARE ONLY ACCEPTED VIA ERAS. SFMR conducts interviews on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. We do not conduct interviews between 12/24 and 1/1.